Monday, December 4, 2006

Poetry Corner

Blank Choice

I make the choice, me
Between two systems
One that expelled me
And the other which refuses to accept me

It is like two oesophagi
One is swallowing you
The other spits you
And which of the two is your favourite?

This is like when a baby rates
Its preference
Of a mother who untimely weans it
And a father who won’t comfort it!

Asylum makes one persona non grata
In the country of refuge where exile
Makes me an enemy in my own country of origin.

The public sees you as troublesome, lazy, benefits hunter
Sleep early, wake up late type
Sow nothing, reap loads
Their eyes distaste my effigy
Those irises fail them lenses, so the sclera dissolves the retina
And the conjunctiva fails the optic nerve
Benefits hunter, shameless alien
Liar after the riches of Europe!

Employers see me as a shame
My certificates are forged, my previous experience is faked
As long I am not a cleaner
These jobs are a prototype
Not open to the newcomer
These jobs are British…equal opportunities is British and not alien!

Julius Sai Mutyambizi-Dewa

No comments: